Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Let's Talk About "Made to Crave"

I recently began studying the book, “Made to Crave:  Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food,” by Lysa Terkeurst.  Since then, many have asked my thoughts about the book. Let me just say that there's some great stuff in there for anyone struggling with food issues.  During this 6 week journey that my study group is taking together you may see me share a few thoughts from the book.  The thought for today is a statement that Lysa makes:  "God made us to crave."  Here's the catch, the object of our craving should be Him.  Often we try to satisfy our cravings with other things like food, relationships, hobbies, computers, facebook,  etc…  I have found this to be very true in my life.  I have used all of those replacements at one time or another and have always come up short of true satisfaction.  This is the battle that I fight on a daily basis.  The times in my life when I feel the most fulfilled are those times when I am walking closely with my Lord.  That is no coincidence.  God offers “abundant life” to those who stay attached to “The Vine.”

So how does the craving for God come?  A craving is a feeling, and feelings are fickle.  They come and they go as quick as the tides.  If I wait to feel the "craving” for God before I seek Him in prayer, then I am likely not to be faithful in following Him.  I feed myself physically when I am hungry, but if I haven’t eaten all day and I don’t “feel” particularly hungry, am I wise to wait for the feeling to come again before I eat?  Of course not.  Our bodies need nourishment.  This is true of our souls as well.  In that sense it’s not a “duty” to pray and read The Word of God daily, but a necessity to maintain a healthy spirit.  In this age of abundant vitamins and supplements, I need to make sure I get my daily “God dosage.” 

Still, if you long for that feeling of “craving God” as much as I do, let me suggest that once a day will never be enough.  How do I get that craving?  First, I beg God for it. Then I “fake it ‘til I make it.”  Many experts have studied the power of suggestion.  They say that we can only achieve that which we envision ourselves achieving.  And many companies have employed mantras to motivate their employees to succeed.   “I am powerful, I am confident, I am …blah, blah, blah.”  You get the picture.  Why, even the “Little Engine That Could” had to tell himself “I think I can” several times before he was able to get over that mountain.  I say all that to say, I have found my mantra.  Ps. 73:25-26.

             Whom have I in heaven but you?
               And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
            My flesh and my heart may fail,
               but God is the strength of my heart
               and my portion forever.

If I can say these verses every morning, and perhaps every time I go to one of my “replacement” foods, then one day I will be living it.  I actually recited these verses in college every morning and it did wonders for me.  I don’t know why I stopped.  These verses help me keep my focus on what truly is most valuable in life.  I’m excited to see how battling my food cravings with this weapon is going to bring me closer to God while I reap physical benefits as well.

How about you?  Do you crave God or a replacement?
If you can identify that replacement, you’ve won half the battle.
The next step is to seek Him and pick up your weapons every time you find yourself craving that replacement. 

Who’s willing to try this with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment