Thursday, August 25, 2011

So How Can It Be Done?

Yesterday I asked this question:
How can we “mingle with (the) godless” and NOT “pick up their evil ways?” 

Here's what Hosea chapter seven taught me.

First, cry out to God for help! 
It sounds basic, but God, Himself, pointed out the Israelites' failure to do this.  Perhaps if they had called out to God, the punishment could have been avoided altogether. 

Second, know God’s standards and keep them.  
I know, it's easier said than done.  Bear with me.  God’s law is clearly spelled out for us in Scripture.  If we know God’s standards, then we will recognize when they are being broken.   As a result, we will have to make a conscious choice as to whether or not we will keep those standards ourselves.

Maybe you are thinking that most of the Israelites knew God’s laws .  You are absolutely right, but they forgot them.  Just like little children who run through the halls at school or talk out loud in the library, we are forgetful too.  This is why teachers post a list of rules prominently in their classrooms and remind the students of them on a regular basis.  This brings us to action step number 3.

Third, remind yourself regularly of God’s expectations and check yourself against His ultimate standard, Christ. 

How are you doing?  What ways have you seen yourself adopt the ways of the godless? Are you laughing at inappropriate jokes?  Or telling little white lies?  Or wearing your shorts a little tighter than you used to?  Or flirting with someone who is not your spouse?  Beware those baby steps that can eventually lead us down a path to destruction.  It didn’t happen overnight with the Israelites.  Remember that God warned them constantly.  They just didn’t listen.

Are you listening?  Check yourself as David did.

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”  Ps.139:23-24

If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you.”  Exodus 33:13

No comments:

Post a Comment