Monday, May 23, 2011

Which Is Better, Cats or Dogs?

Walk down the street asking random people which animal is superior, the dog or the cat, and you are likely to get some strong opinions.  Even owners of both seem to favor one over the other.  I have owned a few dogs and a cat in my life and have discovered that there are valuable lessons to be learned from each one.

Dogs are known for their loyalty.  They stick by their master's side and seem happiest when the master is nearby.  A well-trained dog will come quickly to his master’s call.  He knows that voice and listens for it.  He heeds his master’s every command.  I had a dog that would sit for what seemed like an eternity with a piece of meat on the end of his nose just waiting for me to say “get it!”  That’s the picture of pure adoration and obedience.  That’s what the Lord wants from me.  What a challenging thought.  Do I strain to listen for my Master’s voice?  Then do I obey His commands and find my joy in putting a smile on His face?  

Deuteronomy 10:12 says, And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in obedience to him, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the LORD’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?”  My Master loves me and never asks anything of me that is not for my own good or for His purpose.  He deserves my love and devotion.

That’s what I have learned from my dogs.  Now what about the cats?  Cats, by nature, are very independent and self-serving.  They don’t often come when they are called unless there is something in it for them.  Cat lovers, don’t hate me, but what I have learned from my cat is how NOT to respond to God.   To my shame, I think I tend to be more like my cat.  My cat always seemed to look at me as if she tolerated me being around.  She came to me only when she felt like it and only under her own terms.  If I wanted her to do something I could almost see her thinking about whether or not she wanted to obey… most times she would just turn a cold shoulder.  I shudder to think of the times that I have turned a cold shoulder to God.  I wish I could say that I obey Him constantly without even thinking about what’s in it for me. Too often instead I lay basking in the sun, too lazy to get up, too involved in pleasing myself instead of my Master.  That is what I have learned from my cat.

My question for you today is not which animal do you believe is superior.  My question is, which one do you wish to emulate?  How have you behaved today?  If you have felt more like a cat today, what steps are you going to take toward change?  Seeking forgiveness is a great place to start. 

I’d love to hear some of your thoughts on this topic.  Cat lovers and dog lovers alike!
Leave a comment with your ideas of how you can grow in your adoration for your Master, how to hear His voice, or how to learn to respond in obedience.


Disclaimer:  This illustration may be slightly exaggerated for the sake of a good comparison.  I realize that not ALL cats are as self-serving as mine was.  And, it may surprise you to know that I actually enjoyed the twelve plus years that we had with our cat.

1 comment:

  1. A dog of course...I also love the response I get from my dog, running all around between my feet with her tail wagging...that is the way I want to greet my Master. So thrilled just to be in His presence. Besides, I'm allergic to cats, lol.

    ReplyDelete