Sunday, April 17, 2011

Faith – Is It Too Simple?

I am amazed at how easy our lives have become.  I told my husband the other day that I would never “make it” as a pioneer woman!  I just can’t picture myself making bread every day from scratch, going to the garden for all my vegetables, washing laundry by hand, making soap, and the like.  I have become so accustomed to luxury – life made easy.  Then; I read a story about a man whose life is not at all easy.  He is paralyzed and must rely on his friends to get him from place to place.  But that is not the part of the story that touches me the most.  What touches me is the extent that this man’s friends exert themselves to help him.  They carry him on a stretcher and wade in and out through a crowd so dense that they cannot see two feet in front of them.  Ultimately, they give up on their goal to go through the crowd and decide instead to go over it.  Have you read this story too?  These friends are so determined to bring their charge to see Jesus that they break a hole in someone’s roof and lower him down through it.  What lengths they wouldn’t go to!  My journey to find Jesus was so much easier than that.  In fact, I can meet with Him every morning by simply walking across my bedroom, switching on the light, and turning a few pages in my Bible.  How fortunate we are to have all that we need right at our fingertips! 

Yet for some, this is too easy.  To just read a book and believe what it says doesn’t seem like enough.  Surely the God of this world demands more than simple belief to “see” Him and be touched by Him. 

"I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me.” (Proverbs 8:17 NAS)
“…but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise… so that no man may boast before God.  But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, so that, just as it is written, 'Let him who boasts, boast in the LORD.'"   (I Corinthians 1:27-31, NAS)

"Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them.  Then he said, 'I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven.'"   (Matthew 18:2-3)


Are you thankful today that God didn’t make you jump through hoops to find Him?  I know I am! 
What better time than Easter to tell Him how thankful you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment